The holidays are upon us and everyone is trying desperately to buy the perfect present for their loved ones. It’s like finding the best way to make a single cup of coffee in the best quality it will be.
The frenzy of Black Friday demonstrates the confusion that many people feel. Getting your dollar’s worth is especially important in our struggling economy.
If that person on your list is a coffee lover, the gift of a programmable automatic coffee maker is the perfect present (not to mention that you might want one yourself). When most people get up in the morning they automatically reach for the coffee mug. No need to stop at the local coffee house to get their cup of Jo.
Another practical consideration in these hard economic times, is the cost of a cup of coffee as compared to making your own.
What features should you look for when buying an automatic coffee maker?
* Programmable Timer…..You set the timer the night before. You add water and your favorite freshly ground gourmet coffee beans. Your coffee is ready when you wake up in the morning. The only thing you have to do is pour your coffee in your mug.
* Automatic Shutoff…..If your mornings are like mine, you are running out of the house to get to work. It is not unusual to forget to shut off the coffee maker. So, rather than finding burned coffee at the bottom of the glass carafe, make sure the coffee maker shuts itself off.
Note: Coffee makers with thermal carafes turn off automatically after your coffee is brewed.
It is the thermal carafe that keeps your coffee hot, rather than a hot plate.
* Glass Carafe or Thermal Carafe……A thermal carafe will keep your coffee hot without scorching. Another advantage to thermal carafes is that, unlike a glass carafe, they will not break if dropped on a hard surface. Glass carafes can be expensive to replace.
* Re-useable Filters vs. Paper Filters…….Coffee makers with re-useable filters,while slightly more expensive produce a better tasting coffee. After awhile, the cost of paper filters may equal and surpass that added expense. The only negative here is that the metal filters need to be cleaned to get rid of the coffee grinds.
* Built in Coffee Bean Grinder…..Grinding your own beans shortly before brewing your coffee greatly enhances the flavor and aroma of your coffee. However, the built in grinders do not do a very good job. You would be better served by purchasing a separate coffee grinder.
* Built In Water Filter…..is a nice feature, especially if your water has a high mineral content. They do have to be replaced frequently,however. Another alternative is to have a water filter for your kitchen faucet.
Programmable automatic coffee makers are a great present for anyone who loves coffee and wants the convenience of having coffee ready in the morning. Whereas you can purchase programmable coffee makers for under $50, the better feature laden units can be had for under $75. The extra cost is well worth it as you will wake up to a better tasting cup of jo for many years. Again, this makes for a great Christmas present.